END USER: Toronto-based grocery store chain
Submersible pump to remove expired produce from waste storage tank
- The grocery store chain can no longer send expired produce to the landfill, so expired product is macerated, stored in an underground sump and then needed removal by a vac truck service because the chain couldn’t find a submersible pump that could withstand the operating conditions.
- They needed a pump that could handle macerated expired produce, stringy materials and all, with very little water added to it.
- The vac truck was too loud for use at an inner city grocery store – neighbors complained about the decibel level of the vac truck. The truck also took too long to empty the tank.
We installed a submersible 4”x 4” Pitbull pump in the grocery store’s expired produce holding tank.
- The Pitbull pump was able to handle the expired produce without the noise of a vac truck.
- Our solution cut the emptying time of the tank in half.
- The submersible Pitbull pump has no impellers or diaphragms that stringy materials would wrap around or bind to in addition to its 3.75” diameter solids capacity.
- We were able to obtain a lower liquid level with the Pitbull pump, allowing for more storage in between trucks.