END USER: Ohio-based oil/gas refinery
Explosion-proof sumps for benzene/rainwater containment area
- They needed an explosion-proof pump that could handle the debris, rainwater and benzene that could enter the sump.
- With prior use of explosion-proof centrifugals, their failure rate and repair costs were more than desired.
- The initial cost of the explosion-proof centrifugals for the project was too expensive.
- They experienced malfunctions with the floats, causing the pump to run when the liquid level in the sump wasn’t high enough and vice versa.
Thirty all-pneumatic 3” and 4” submersible Pitbull pumps were installed, eliminating the need/extra cost for explosion-proof centrifugal pumps.
After experiencing an average of two repairs per week with the previous pumps, there have been no recorded failures or repair costs since the all-pneumatic Pitbull pumps were installed over three years ago.
- The overall cost of the Pitbull pneumatic displacement pumps for the project was almost half of the cost of the explosion-proof centrifugals.
- Because Pitbull industrial pumps don’t use floats for sensing levels, the float problem was eliminated.
“Pitbull pumps have provided a great return on our investment. The lower initial price tag and increased reliability substantially lowered our operating costs. The pumps’ continued high level of performance has convinced us that all-pneumatic sump pumps are the only option for our facility.”